I almost didn’t go to the gym yesterday. The sun was shining as I left work, I was going to a gig with friends at my local and my glutes were still aching from my workout on Wednesday. (First day back after a few weeks out is always a killer!) But as I got closer to home the sun went in and my gym bag was in the car giving me a dirty look for not putting it to good use, so I just went on in anyway.
Back is one of my favourite areas to focus on when working out, I added a 5 minute ab workout at the end which I will be doing for each of my workouts. I don’t usually have a strict routine that I follow when working out. Although I tend to repeat a lot of the same exercises, I like to mix up the order, dependant on machine availability and so that my body doesn’t get used to my workouts.
I don’t do running. Seriously, if you saw me run you’d understand why. To get my cardio in I warm up with 10 minutes on the cross trainer. Not to my max because I’ll exhaust myself before I even start, but at a pace high enough to raise my heart rate and warm up my muscles.
- Single arm dumbbell row – 3 sets of 12 reps, per arm – Middle back
- Wide grip lat pull downs – 3 sets of 12 reps – Lats
SUPERSET WITH ..
- Underhand cable pull down – 3 sets of 12 reps – Lats
- Standing front lat pushdown – 3 sets of 12 reps – Lats
- Seated cable row – 3 sets of 12 reps – Middle back
- Assisted chin ups – 3 sets of 12 reps – Lats
I’m building up my strength to be able to do chin ups without the assistance so try and fit these in wherever I can.
If I feel as though I haven’t done enough after this workout I will also do 2000m HIIT on the rowing machine. I have a PB that I always use to push myself that little bit extra each time.
- 30 seconds hands back tuck
- 60 second plank
- 30 second side plank lift – each side
- 45 second rest
- 30 second seated ab circles – each side
- 30 second 90/90 crunch
- 30 second Russian twists
This was all followed by a 5-10 minute stretch out on the mat.
Give this workout a try and let me know what you think, or if there’s anything you do that you think I should give a go!