Some don’t like leg day and many actively avoid it. But legs and glutes are two of my favourite things to focus on at the gym. I can always feel the work that I’ve done and I really enjoy each and every move I’ve added to my routine.
There is a common misconception that in order to get that dream butt, the more training the better. Don’t train legs/glutes more than twice in a week. You’ll slow down the building process because your muscles need time to recover and grow.
Don’t forget your warm up before trying this. I usually do a few stretches, followed by 5-10 minutes on the cross trainer or treadmill to raise my heart rate.
- Hip raises – 2 sets of 12 reps – Glute warm up
- Rainbows on a bench – 2 sets of 12 reps – Glutes
- Barbell hip thrust – 3 sets of 10 reps – Glutes
- Backwards barbell lunges – 3 sets of 12 reps per leg – Quads
SUPER SET with ..
- Barbell squats – 3 sets of 12 reps – Quads
- Single leg Romanian deadlifts – 2 sets of 12 reps – Hamstrings, Glutes, Lats, Core – Total body
- Cable pull through – 2 sets of 12 reps – Glutes
- Glute push down – 3 sets of 12 reps – Glutes
- Single leg cable kickback – 2 sets of 12 reps
- 10 minute treadmill walk/jog on high incline
I like to switch up what I fatigue on, if I haven’t done a lot of cardio already, the treadmill is my favourite go to.
I usually do the glute push down with the assisted dip machine. Make sure to take it really slow and use your glutes to push that weight down, rather than your quads.
This is all followed by a 5-10 minute stretch on the mat.
So for those of you pining for a booty like Beyonce, give this workout a go, let me know how you get on and if there’s anything you do that you think I should give a go!
I’m not (yet) a qualified PT and I know different exercises work differently for everyone, this is just what has worked for me and I’d love to your thoughts on it.